Monday, June 8, 2009

Measure Twice, Cut Once

I read some Amazon reviews of Weekend Sewing (reviewed below) and boy are they harsh. (I like the book and have had no trouble with the one thing I have started) What is frustrating is that many of the issues that the reviewers complained about could have been avoided by always following these steps.

1. When you are making a new pattern,(or a recipe) read all instructions all the way through
2. Measure carefully (the old rule "measure twice, cut once" isn't just for carpenters)
3. Make a muslin to determine fit and any construction issues before you cut your good fabric
4. If the pattern is from a book, check the author's or publisher's website for any possible known errors. Threads Magazine did an article a little while ago on proofing your patterns. It's a good habit to get into. I have found many mistakes when doing this at the start and saved myself frustration and grief later on.

Here's Heather's info with corrections: http://heatherross.squarespace.com/weekend-sewing-errata/

5. Ask for help if you get stuck. Don't give up! Many problem projects can be saved with some creative thinking. Nancy used this ingenious solution to fix an accident


What creative solutions have you used to save a problem project?

3 comments:

gwensews said...

Measure, measure, measure. I never make a pattern with the ease that the pattern uses. I have written in my sewing notebook, the ease I prefer in all my garments. And, I make my patterns to those specifications.

Nancy Winningham said...

I used to do a lot of scrapbooking, and it always seemed that my most creative layouts came from fixing little mistakes. Just like with sewing, I try to look at these "roadblocks" as design opportunities. And unfortunately, I have a lot of opportunities!

neighbourhood.gal said...

Feel free to change something! Add trim, remove trim, use a different kind of zipper, etc.

There are no pattern police who will come and lock you away for not following the directions exactly.