Friday, June 12, 2009

Book Review: Stitched in Time: Memory-Keeping Projects to Sew and Share from the Creator of Posie Gets Cozy


Are you a sentimental person? Do you like sweetly floral pillowcases, homemade gifts, birthday cupcakes and handmade keepsakes? If yes, Stitched In Time
will give you inspiration for bridal shower gifts, birthday gifts, wedding presents, baby gifts and more. The author, Alicia Paulson, has a blog that celebrates the sweetness of everyday life, just like the projects in her book do. She includes sewing instructions, embroidery how-tos and lots of advice to help every thing go smoothly. The Family Picture pillow would make a great graduation gift or birthday or Father's Day gift. There are lots of good ideas here that can be adapted to your own gift needs. I know I must make the Nutcracker doll for a friend of mine who collects handmade dolls.
I knew that Alicia (we're on a first name basis now that I've read her book; she seems so friendly. I think we'd hit it right off if we ever met. We both like dogs and kids and sewing and cupcakes. Is there a better foundation for a friendship?)...anyway, I knew that she and I were on the same wavelength when I saw that she included a small aside on choosing the right people to give your homemade treasures to. We all know a sad story of someone who did not appreciate the handmade wonderfulness of a gift we made. We don't make anything for those people any more.
I loved the beautiful photographs and the clever and creative projects. Someday you'll want to make a baby quilt or a birthday banner or a recipe card apron or a set of placemats as a housewarming gift and this book will have just the thing you are looking for. I have post-it notes all throughout my copy already.
What was your favorite hand-made gift?

No comments: