Tuesday, May 12, 2009

If only Samson had known...

For Mother's Day Eve my daughter treated me to a visit to the Sugar House Spa in Old Town Alexandria. We had our hair cut, and had pedicures and manicures. What a fun idea for a gift! The Sugar House is in a restored Town House in Old Town and is very nice inside. (I'm not affiliated nor did they pay for a mention. I just liked it.) When I sat down to get my hair cut, I only intended to get a trim, but the hairdresser said these magic words, " You have such long beautiful hair. If you went short for summer, you'd have enough to donate to Locks of Love, a charity that helps kids with cancer". I am a total sucker for anything that helps sick kids. My mother had cancer, so I know first hand how difficult chemotherapy can be for families. Now I have short hair for the first time in 24 years. People have been telling me I look 10 years younger. (That would make me look only 29, right?)
On Mother's Day we had a brunch here and Mr. Hunting Creek made the following menu for Best Sister Ever and DBil, my nephew and Best Brother Ever plus Ms. Hunting Creek and J. Hunting Creek:

BLT Chicken Rollups, Crab Rollups
Fruit Salad
Tropical Punch
Coconut Blueberry Pie

We ate the pie picnic style while we played croquet by the Little Hunting Creek neighborhood pool; it has a lovely large lawn right by the creek that is perfect for croquet.
It was a perfect afternoon. I hope everyone else had a great Mother's day as well.

Coconut BlueBerry Pie
(recipe adapted from Celebrate Spring 2009 issue, that BSE bought at Costco and gave me for my birthday, page 36 Buttermilk Coconut Pie)

1 1/2 cups sugar (I only used one cup as it was sweet enough for me)
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter melted
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract( I used my homemade vanilla)
1 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 9 inch pie crust
and my addition - one cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 325. Put pie crust in pie pan, pour blueberries on the bottom. Combine sugar, flour and butter, buttermilk, vanilla, eggs and 1 cup coconut. Pour filling over the blueberries. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake 50-60 minutes or until center is almost set. We ate ours warm. It was very yummy indeed. There was one teeny tiny slice left, which Ms. Hunting Creek took for her lunch the next day. I need to make another one.

1 comment:

gwensews said...

I hope you love your new hair! It's good, I think, to change one's look now and then. Sounds like you had a fabulous Mother's Day.