Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Voted

There's still time to vote if you haven't yet.
We got up before dawn today, my husband and our daughter and I, and drove down to the elementary school that serves as our polling place. Both our kids went to that school and I always find it sweet to wait in line while looking at the artwork.
There was no parking available, the lot was FULL and cars covered the streets nearby. The line went out the door and around the building. I could still see the stars as we took our place in line. There was a table selling coffee and doughnuts nearby. Everyone in line was cheerful, and seemed happy to take part in this historic election. No one complained about waiting. It wasn't too cold. As we waited, the line moved slowly. The people in line were all ages, all races, some had small children, some were in business clothes, some were retired. Everyone was polite to the Democratic and Republican helpers who were offering sample ballots.
As I waited I reflected that when my grandmother was born in 1904 in Punxsutawney, PA, women did not yet have the right to vote. Less than 70 years later, when I voted for the first time in 1976, my parents took a picture of me coming out of my old elementary school with my I VOTED sticker. I haven't missed an election since. Don't miss out on your chance to make history.
Happy Voting!
(and I am SO GLAD that this is all over and I can get back to sewing Christmas gifts and clothes)

No comments: