Thursday, August 2, 2012

It Runs in the Family

Just minutes after I posted my Mystery Pattern Theater post, both my daughter and my sister told me that they NEEDED the red Chado Ralph Rucci dres I had featured. Vogue 1317 from their Fall catalog. (We also like the same colors, books and shoes...it must be genetic)
This pattern has some interesting construction features, looking at the line drawing:
MISSES' DRESS: Dress has low neckline slit, close-fitting bodice cut-in-one with sleeves (slit), side back bodice extending into uderarm gusset, lined midriff, single-layer tie ends (wrongside shows), skirt with side front/side back seams, side front pockets/vents, invisible back zipper, stitched hems, and self-bias binding. Topstitching and edgestitching.
FABRICS: Synthetic Suede, Lightweight Double Knit.
Unsuitable for obvious diagonals.

From reading the description, it sounds like the bodice has some unconventional construction features, including a lack of side seams and underarm gussets (shades of retro-fifties dresses!).
I have never done an FBA on a dress made like this, so a muslin is definitely in order. Especially since I want one of these for myself..
(On a side note, do the pattern companies ever say This pattern suitable for obvious diagonals?I don't think I have ever seen that. Diagonal prints can be very flattering. I wonder why they hate them.
The pattern matching n this one would be a puzzle, so I think that's why they don't recommend it)
I'm watching for the next Vogue sale, because this pattern will be mine.

1 comment:

Beangirl said...

"(On a side note, do the pattern companies ever say This pattern suitable for obvious diagonals?I don't think I have ever seen that. Diagonal prints can be very flattering. I wonder why they hate them."

I have frequently wondered that same thing myself. Amongst the many other mysteries of "What goes on in the minds of the Pattern People?"